Monday, June 11, 2012

Honey, I Love


 Greenfield, E., & Gilchrist, J. S. (2003). Honey, I love.  New York: Harper Collins Publisher


Honey I love by Eloise Greenfield is now one of my favorite children’s books. This book fits the poetic genre because it uses rhyme, repetition, and some literary devices to tell about the things that this spunky little girl loves in her life. The poem was originally published in 1978 and was re-released 25 years later with Jan Gilchrist’s illustrations. The illustrations catch the reader’s eyes immediately. Jan Gilchrist’s illustrations contribute to the joyful mood that the author’s words express. The front cover shows a young African American girl holding flowers in the sunlight. The bright colors also contribute to the mood. The illustrations show the action of the poem as it takes place. The pictures are sketched to give the characters life like features. Some of the pages that have the poems words have abstract sketches of the setting with what looks light water colored paint. Other pages have these beautiful pictures of the characters smiling from ear to ear. The reader immediately feels the love which is the overall theme of the book.
The little girl narrates the story and tells about loving a whole lot of things. She loves her cousin from the south. The author uses personification when the narrator tells about her cousin’s dialect and his words sliding out of his mouth. The voice and tone that the author uses allows the reader to take on the attitude that the narrator has. The little girl’s distinct personality and style radiates in every word she says. As a reader I wanted to put my hand on my hip every time she says, “Honey let me tell you”. She goes on to tell us about how she loves the flying pool which is actually the water hose. The author uses imagery to allow the reader to feel what the little girl feels when the water stings her stomach. After she describes loving the flying pool, which is too cute, the author uses the transition word “and” to go to what else she loves. Her friend comes out to play and they make paper clothing for her naked doll. The two girls laugh so hard at how pitiful the dress looks. The author uses repetition and says, “Honey let me tell you I love the laughing sound, I love the laughing sound.” That was my favorite part of the book because I too love the laughing sound. It reminded me of how my cousins and I would laugh for hours and still do at the silliest things.
The book is full of love. Loving to ride in her uncle’s crowded car in the country; loving her momma’s arm as she lays her face on it while she is sewing; But honey one thing she wants us to know is she does not love to go to sleep. Greenfield closes the poem with, “I love a lot of things, a whole lot of things, and honey I love you too.” I think for young readers this book really creates a positive feeling. It lets them know it is okay to love everyone. I relate to the story because her childhood seems just like mine. Being from Harrodsburg I spent a lot of Sundays riding in crowded cars going to visit churches for afternoon programs. This book could have easily been written by me. Cause honey I love a lot of things.
Big Idea Questions:
What do you love in your life and why?
What would it be like to be friends with this little girl?

No comments:

Post a Comment